ARTICLE I: LIBRARY MISSION STATEMENT
Access to information is a cornerstone of democracy. Moreover, enjoyment
of contemporary and classic books, audiovisual items, and other library
materials is a worthwhile way to spend leisure time. In fulfilling
its role as the primary resource for knowledge, reading, research,
and popular media in print, non-print, and electronic formats, the
Edith Wheeler Memorial Library serves as the knowledge navigator for
its community. To accomplish its mission, the library will employ
trained staff and offer a wide variety of materials, equipment, services,
and programs to support a lifetime of reading, listening, viewing,
ARTICLE II: ESTABLISHMENT AND DUTIES
The Library Board of Trustees of the Edith Wheeler Memorial Library exists by virtue of the provisions of Chapter 190 of the General Statutes of Connecticut, and exercises the powers and authority and assumes the responsibilities delegated to it under the said chapter. In addition, it shall be in conformity with, and governed by, the provisions of the Charter of the Town of Monroe. The Board shall consist of seven (7) members serving terms of six (6) years each, appointed by the First Selectman in accordance with the terms of the Charter. Library trustees shall abide by the Town of Monroe Code of Ethics, latest edition.
In accordance with the Charter of the Town of Monroe, the First Selectman
ex-officio member of the Library Board of Trustees and has all the rights and privileges of attendance, debate, and voting accorded to the other members of the Board, should he/she desire to exercise them.
ARTICLE III: OFFICERS
1. There shall be three (3) officers of the Library Board of Trustees, namely: a Chairman, a Vice Chairman, and a Secretary. They shall be elected from among the appointed trustees at the January meeting of the Board.
2. Each term of office shall be for one (1) year.
3. The Chairman of the Board shall preside at all meetings and generally perform the duties of a presiding officer. The Chairman shall serve as an ex-officio voting member of all Board committees.
4. The Vice Chairman of the Board shall perform all the duties of the Chairman in the Chairman’s absence, and shall assist the Chairman in the duties of his/her office as requested or directed.
5. The Secretary of the Board shall keep a true and accurate record of all meetings of the Board. The Library Director shall have custody of the minutes and other records of the Board.
6. A vacancy in any office arising from any cause may be filled for the unexpired portion of the term from among the remaining trustees. The Chairman shall seek a volunteer replacement and, in the absence of a volunteer, shall appoint a replacement, which shall become effective upon a majority vote of the Board.
ARTICLE IV: MEETINGS
1. The Library Board of Trustees shall meet on the third Thursday of every month, beginning at 3:00 p.m. in the Edith Wheeler Memorial Library, or at such other time and place as the members may determine.
2. Election of officers and re-adoption of these by-laws shall take place annually at the January meeting.
3. The order of business for regular meetings of the Board shall be as follows:
I. Call to Order and Attendance
II. Old Business
III. New Business
IV. Library Director’s Report
V. Approval of Minutes
VI. Financial Report
VII. Public Participation
VIII. Other Business
4. Special meetings may be held at any time at the call of the Chairman
or Secretary or at the call of any two (2) members of the Board, provided
that notice thereof be
given to all trustees at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance of the special meeting,
and notice of such meeting be filed with the Office of the Town Clerk.
5. Any special meeting, or any part of a regularly scheduled meeting,
may move into executive
session by proper motion and vote of the Board. During executive sessions, only members
of the Board and others specifically invited by the Chairman may be present. The official
minutes will show only the results of motions made and carried during such sessions.
6. Proceedings of all meetings shall be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order, latest edition.
7. A quorum to conduct official business shall consist of not less than four (4) members of the Board.
ARTICLE V: LIBRARY PERSONNEL
1. The Library Director shall be the executive director of the library and shall operate the library according to the policies adopted by the Library Board of Trustees. Among his/her duties and responsibilities shall be the direction and supervision of all staff members in the performance of their duties; and the submission to the Board of such proposed policies, procedures, and budgets as will, in his/her opinion, promote the efficiency of the library and its service to the people of the community.
2. The Adult Services Librarian shall be responsible for the activities in the Adult Department, under the general direction of the Library Director. The Adult Services Librarian shall be responsible for supervising the entire library during the absence of the Library Director.
3. The Children’s Services Librarian shall be responsible for the activities in the Children’s Room, under the general direction of the Library Director. The Children’s Services Librarian shall be responsible for supervising the entire library during the absence of the Library Director and the Adult Services Librarian
4. Neither any member of the Library Board of Trustees nor any member of his/her immediate family may be employed for remuneration by the library.
ARTICLE VI: GENERAL
1. Special committees may be appointed by the Chairman, or by proper motion and vote of the Board.
2. Amendments to these By-Laws may be proposed at any regular meeting, but they can become effective only after an affirmative vote by a majority of the members present at a subsequent meeting.
3. Any of these By-Laws may be temporarily suspended by the affirmative vote of all the members present at any regular or special meeting.
4. These By-Laws as adopted shall take precedence over any previously
By-Laws of the Library Board of Trustees.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees: March 6, 1968.
Revised by the Library Board of Trustees: March 3, 1988; January
18, 1990; January 17, 1991; January 16, 1992; January 21, 1993; January
20, 1994; January 19, 1995; January 18, 1996; February 20, 1997; February
19, 1998; May 20, 1999; February 17, 2000; February 21, 2001; February
20, 2002; March 19, 2003; May 21, 2003; February 17, 2005; January
19, 2006; January 17, 2008